ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) is an organisation that creates international voluntary consensus standards. ASTM standards are established by committees of relevant industry specialists who meet on a regular basis to deliver standards, test methods, specifications, guides, and practices in an open and transparent process.
After assuring that ASTM protocols were followed appropriately and that the standard was given due process, the ASTM International Committee on Standards grants final approval. This due process ensures that all interested parties have a chance to be heard and that competing interests are balanced.
Why ASTM Standards Matters?
Scientists, engineers, architects, and government agencies employ ASTM safety standards to assure the quality and consistency of materials. While these criteria are voluntary, authorities must reference them in contracts, government rules, regulations, or laws.
ASTM standards are essential for evaluating metals’ material, chemical, mechanical, and metallurgical properties. This information supports product developers in designing appropriate processing and application approaches. Individuals and institutions can use the ASTM website to search for over 12,000 standards in any industry.
ASTM develops numerous standard standards controlling environmental and engineering services, including:
ASTM E1527-13 Environmental Site Assessment Standard Practice:
Process of Environmental Site Assessment in Phase I
(This Standard satisfies the EPA’s All Appropriate Inquiries criterion.)
ASTM E2018-15 Property Condition Assessment Standard Guide:
Process for Assessing the Baseline Property Condition
Standard Guide for ASTM E2026-07
Building Seismic Risk Assessment
ASTM International has developed standards on a wide range of issues, including metals, flammability, chemical products, lubricants, fossil fuels, textiles, paint, plastics, rubber, pipe, forensic sciences, electronics, energy, and medical devices.
Sections and Volumes
The ASTM Standards are classified into various Sections and Volumes
- Section 1 – Products of Iron and Steel
- Section 2 - Non-ferrous Metal Products
- Section 3 - Metals Analytical Procedures and Test Methods
- Section 4 - Construction
- Section 5 – Fossil Fuels, Petroleum Products, Lubricants.
- Section 6 – Aromatics, Paints, and Coatings
- Section 7 - Textiles
- Section 8 - Plastics
- Section 9 - Rubber
- Section 10 - Electrical and Electronics Insulation
- Section 11 - Environmental and Water Technology
- Section 12 – Various energy resources such as Nuclear, Solar, and Geothermal Energy
- Section 13 – Various Medical Devices and its Services
- Section 14 - Instrumentation
- Section 15 - Products for general use, chemical specialties, and end uses
Here we are going to discuss the sub section of each section.
Section 1 - Iron and Steel Products
- Volume 01.01 - Steel Piping, various Fittings
- Volume 01.02 - Ferro Castings and Alloys
- Volume 01.03 – Steel Plate, Sheet, Wire, and Stainless-Steel Bars
- Volume 01.04 – Structural Reinforcing and Pressure Vessel
- Volume 01.05 – Steel products such as Bars, Forgings, Bearing, Chain, etc.
- Volume 01.06 - Coated Steel Products
- Volume 01.07 – Vessels, Ships, and Marine Engineering Technology
- Volume 01.08 – Fasteners
Section 2 - Nonferrous Metal Products
- Volume 02.01 - Copper and its Alloys
- Volume 02.02 - Alloys of Aluminium and Magnesium
- Volume 02.03 – Various Electrical Conductors
- Volume 02.04 – Metals like Nickel, Cobalt, Lead, Tin, Zinc, etc.
- Volume 02.05 – Metal Powders, Metallic and Inorganic Coatings
Section 3 - Metals Analytical Procedures and Test Methods
- Volume 03.01 - Mechanical testing of metals, tests at high and low temperatures, and metallography
- Volume 03.02 – Wear, Erosion, and Metal Corrosion
- Volume 03.03 – Non-destructive Testing
- Volume 03.04 - Magnetic Properties
- Volume 03.05 - Analytical Chemistry for Metals and Ores.
Section 4 - Construction
- Volume 04.01 - Cement, Lime, Gypsum, etc,
- Volume 04.02 - Concrete and its Aggregates
- Volume 04.03 - Road and Vehicle Paving systems and Paving Materials
- Volume 04.04 - Bituminous materials, roofing, and waterproofing
- Volume 04.05 - Chemical-Resistant Non-metallic Materials; Vitrified Clay Pipe; Concrete Pipe; Fiber-Reinforced Cement Products; Mortars and Grouts; Masonry
- Volume 04.06 - Environmental Acoustics, Thermal Insulation
- Volume 04.07 - Dimension Stone, Fire Standards, and Building Seals and Sealants
- Volume 04.08 to Volume 04.09 - Soil and Rock, Geosynthetics
- Volume 04.10 - Wood
- Volume 04.11 to Volume 04.12 - Building Construction, Property Management Systems
- Volume 04.13 - Geosynthetics
Section 5 - Fossil Fuels, Petroleum Products, Lubricants.
- Volume 05.01 to Volume 05.04 - Petroleum Products and Lubricants
- Volume 05.05 - Test Methods for Rating Motor, Diesel, and Aviation Fuels; Catalysts; Manufactured Carbon and Graphite Products, etc.
- Volume 05.06 - Combustible gases, coal, and coke
Section 6 - Aromatics, Paints, and Coatings
Volume 06.01 to Volume 06.04 - Paint - Tests for Chemical, Physical, and Optical Properties; Appearance, pipeline Coatings, Drying Oils, Polymers, Paint Solvents, Aromatic Hydrocarbons, etc.
Section 7 - Textiles
- Volume 07.01 - Textiles (I): D76 - D3218
- Volume 07.02 - Textiles (II): D3333 - latest
Section 8 - Plastics
- Volume 08.01 to Volume 08.03 - Plastics
- Volume 08.04 - Plastic Pipe, Piping Accessories and Building Products
Section 9 - Rubber
- Volume 09.01 - Natural and Synthetic Latex (Rubber)
- Volume 09.02 - Rubber Products, Related Test Methods
Section 10 - Electrical Insulation and Electronics
- Volume 10.01 & 10.02 - Electrical Insulation
- Volume 10.03 - Electrical Insulating Liquids and Gases; Electrical Protective Equipments
- Volume 10.04 & 10.05 - Electronics
Section 11 - Water and Environmental Technology
- Volume 11.01 & 11.02 - Water
- Volume 11.03 - Occupational Health and Safety, Protective Clothing, and Atmospheric Analysis
- Volume 11.04 - Environmental Assessment; Responses to Hazardous Substances and Oil Spills; Waste Management
- Volume 11.05 - Biotechnology, Pesticides, and Biological Effects on the Environment
Section 12 - Various energy resources such as Nuclear, Solar, and Geothermal Energy
Volume 12.01 & 12.02 - Nuclear Energy, Solar, and Geothermal Energy
Section 13 - Medical Devices and Services
Volume 13.01 - Medical Equipment, Emergency Medical Services
Section 14 - General Methods and Instrumentation
- Volume 14.01 - Healthcare Informatics
- Volume 14.02 - Terminology, Forensic Sciences, General Test Methods, Conformity Assessment, and Statistical Methods
- Volume 14.03 - Temperature Measurement
- Volume 14.04 - Laboratory Equipment; Material Degradation; SI; Oxygen Fire Safety
Section 15 - Products for general use, chemical specialties, and end uses
- Volume 15.01 - Activated Carbon, Advanced Ceramics, Refractories
- Volume 15.02 - Glass; Ceramic Materials
- Volume 15.03 - High modulus fibers; space simulation; aerospace and aircraft
- Volume 15.04: Resilient Floor Coverings, Polishes, Soaps, and Other Detergents
- Volume 15.05 - Industrial and Specialty Chemicals, Halogenated Organic Solvents, and Fire Extinguishing Agents
- Volume 15.06 - Adhesives
- Volume 15.07 - Sporting goods; footwear safety and traction; amusement rides; consumer goods
- Volume 15.08 - Vacuum cleaners, security measures, Detention Facilities, and kitchenware are examples of sensory evaluation.
- Volume 15.09 - Paper, packaging, elastic barriers, and commercial imaging products