Various types of Mitsubishi PLC controllers and it software features

What are the various types of Mitsubishi Controllers?

Overview of Mitsubishi PLC and its basic function blocks

I. Programmable Controllers MELSEC

1. MELSEC iQ-R Series

Features of MELSEC iQ-R series controllers

A. Productivity:

❖ Improved production cycle with high-speed and large-capacity data processing between modules.

❖ The performance is improved by synchronizing data between programmable CPU and motion CPU through a high-speed system bus.

❖ The memory consumption for the program and internal devices used in function block (FB) and structured text (ST) programs have been improved hence reducing hardware costs.

❖ The built-in database eliminates the need for a PC-based database server.

B. Engineering:

❖ The intuitive engineering environment covering the product development cycle.

❖ Simple point and click programming architecture.

❖ Understanding globalization through multiple language support.

C. Maintenance:

❖ Monitors the entire manufacturing process data across the plant in real-time.

❖ Direct access to enterprise level.

❖ It makes the minimum downtime of the system to improve the productivity and maintain plant efficiency.

D. Security:

❖ As technology becomes more complex the protection of intellectual property is more significant.

❖ It provides a multi-level user access password hierarchy to protect the project at the design stage.

E. Quality:

❖ A robust design ideal for harsh industrial environments.

❖ Improves and maintains actual product quality during manufacturing and ensures the high performance and data logging enables traceability.

❖ It Provides an indication for quality improvements through analyzing various data on production processes to reduce the manufacturing costs,

F. Connectivity:

❖ It is an open integrated network that enables seamless communication between the systems.

❖ The CC-Link IE uses TSN technology along with TCP/IP communications for mixing information with Ethernet communication devices without affecting real-time deterministic communications.

❖ Provides higher flexibility in the connection between equipment.

❖ Reduce start-up, engineering, and maintenance costs.

G. Compatibility:

❖ Uses existing assets while taking advantage of cutting-edge technology thereby reducing the overall engineering time.

❖ Compatible with most existing MELSEC-Q series I/O, achieve an easy path to higher technology and improved performance capabilities.

System configuration of MELSEC iQ-R Series:

A. Flexible and interchangeable system architecture:

• It is a modular control system equipped with various modules such as CPUs, power supply, digital I/O, analog I/O, base unit, and intelligent function modules.

• The base unit is the core of the system that interconnects all the modules together and enables high‑speed communications between each module.

B. Integrated safety control:

• The system consists of a safety CPU that is compliant with international safety standards.
  • The CPU module can be installed on a standard base unit and when paired with the safety function module enables control of safety I/O.

C. Highly scalable redundant control:

The redundant control system is based on a dual-system architecture where all modules on a primary system are duplicated onto a secondary system with a tracking cable connecting.

D. Highly accurate synchronization:

This system provides highly accurate synchronization between modules on the control system through Inter-module synchronization with CC-Link IE Field Network.

Power supply module

Input power supply voltage: AC: 100-240V AC, DC: 24V -31V DC

Input frequency: 50/60 Hz ±5%

Max. input power (W) 50 W

Rated O/P current 3.5 A to 9 A for 5V DC, 0.6 A for 24V DC

Max. Input apparent power (VA): 130 – 160 VA

Main base unit

❖ Number of I/O modules installed : 3 -12 I/O modules

❖ DIN rail mounting adapter type: R6DIN1

Extension base unit

❖ Number of I/O modules installed: 5 -12 I/O modules

❖ DIN rail mounting adapter type: R6DIN1

2. MELSEC iQ-R Series CPU

Features of MELSEC iQ-R series controllers

❖ The CPU high-speed system bus to ensure high performance and intelligent processing power

❖ The CPU includes a high-performance, general-purpose controller capable of variable memory capacities and a high-precision motion controller with variable controllable axes.

❖ Highly scalable with program capacities from 10K to 1200K steps.

❖ Process CPU supports high-speed PID control and hot-swap of I/O modules. Embedded gigabit network ports CPU

❖ Internal DB for simple batch recipe control

❖ Various motion controls like position, speed, and torque is possible

❖ It has international standard safety CPU with improved controller architecture.

❖ The C Controller CPU provides C and C++ programming ideal for PC and micro-controller based systems

Programmable Controller CPU Modules

❖ It is the core and heart of the MELSEC iQ-R Series CPU with various features for different applications are embedded to perform a wide range of control tasks.

❖ It has built-in hardware features like the USB port, Ethernet port,

❖ External SRAM cassette increases the device memory to increase internal device memory to 9882K words.

❖ SD card to store the recipe as a memory database and can be used for logging data.

❖ In high-speed event-driven programs the time interval between event-driven programs is reduced to 50 microseconds.

100+ PLC interview questions

Motion CPU module.

❖ It is a dedicated high-precision control CPU module designed for applications that require motion control such as positioning control, synchronous control, and speed-torque control at very high accuracy.

❖ High-speed data communication between CPUs

3. MELSEC iQ-F Series

Features of MELSEC iQ-F Series Controllers

❖ It has Advanced Built-in Functions like analog I/O with alarm output, Ethernet port, RS-485, USB (mini-B) connector, and SD card slot.

❖ The PLC can be rebooted without turning off the main power for efficient debugging through the Run/Reset/Stop switch.

❖ MELSEC iQ-F has advanced security functions to prevent illegal operations by unauthorized persons. And avoid data hacking.

❖ High performance with high-speed bus to enhance the total system performance.

❖ It has high-speed communication with CC-Link IE Field at the rate of 1 Gbps.

❖ Minimizes the total cost of ownership of the programming environment of GX Works3 and reduces development costs.

❖ Standardize programs with pre-defined module function blocks and module labels.

❖ The system is equipped with built-in positioning functions that can utilize an 8ch high-speed counter function and 4 axes pulse output.

The CPU Module of the MELSEC iQ-F series.

A. FX5U

❖ Control scale: 32 to 384 points, 512 pts including CC-Link,

❖ Program memory: 128 k steps

❖ Built-in analog I/O:A/D 2 ch 12-bit, and D/A 1 ch 12-bit

❖ Built-in SD card Slot: Max. 16 GB

❖ Built-in Ethernet Port: 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX

❖ Built-in RS-485 port: Inverter Communication and MODBUS Communication

❖ Built-in positioning: 4 axes 200 kHz pulse output

❖ Built-in high-speed counter: Max. 8 ch (6 ch 200 kHz + 2 ch 10 kHz) high-speed pulse input.

B. FX5UC

❖ Control scale: 32 to 384 points, 512 pts including CC-Link,

❖ Program memory: 128 k steps

❖ Built-in analog I/O:A/D 2 ch 12-bit, and D/A 1 ch 12-bit

❖ Built-in positioning: 4 axes 200 kHz pulse output

❖ Built-in high-speed counter: Max. 8 ch (6 ch 200 kHz + 2 ch 10 kHz) high-speed pulse input.

C. FX5UJ

❖ Control scale: 24 to 256 points, 256 pts including CC-Link,

❖ Program memory: 48 k steps

❖ Built-in USB connector: Mini-B Data transfer speed 12 Mbps

❖ Built-in positioning : 3 axes 200 kHz pulse output

❖ Built-in high-speed counter: Max. 8 ch (4 ch 200 kHz + 4 ch 10 kHz) high-speed pulse input.

Powered I/O module of MELSEC iQ-F series.

AC power supply type

❖ No of points: 32 Points.

❖ No. of I/O points: 16 input 24VDC sink/source,

16 output relay, transistor sink/source.

DC power supply type

❖No of points: 32 Points.

❖ No. of I/O points: 16 input 24VDC sink/source, 16 output relay, transistor sink/source.

Input module:

❖ Total No. of input points: 8 -32 points, 24VDC sink/source.

❖ Total No. of output points: —

❖ Connection type: Screw terminal block, Connector, and Spring clamp terminal block

Output module:

❖ Total No. of input points: ----

❖ Total No. of output points: 8 -32 points, relay, transistor sink/source.

❖ Connection type: Screw terminal block, Connector, and Spring clamp terminal block

Input/output module:

❖ No of points: 16 - 32 Points.

❖ Total No. of input points: 8 -16 points, 24VDC sink/source.

❖ Total No. of output points: 8 -16 points, relay, transistor sink/source.

High-speed pulse input/output module:

❖ No of points: 16 Points.

❖ Total No. of input points: 8 points, 24VDC sink/source.

❖ Total No. of output points: 8 points, transistors sink/source.

❖ Connection type: Screw terminal block.

Analog input devices (A/D conversion)

❖ Number of channels: 2 ch to 8 ch.

❖ Input voltage: -10 to 10 V DC at a resolution of 312.5 μV to 2.5 mV.

❖ Input current: -20 to 20 mA DC at a resolution of 625 nA to 1.25 μA.

Analog output devices (D/A conversion)

❖ Number of channels: 1 ch to 4 ch.

❖ Input voltage: -10 to 10 V DC at a resolution of 312.5 μV to 2.5 mV.

❖ Input current: 0 to +20 mA DC at a resolution of 625 nA to 1.25 μA.

4. MELSEC Q Series

Features of MELSEC Q Series

❖ Improves the system performance with its nano-speed basic command process.

❖ It enables high-speed, high-accuracy, and large volume data processing and machine control.

❖ The MELSEC Q Series controller is user-friendly, with high productivity with low maintenance cost.

MELSEC Q Series CPU

The base unit of MELSEC Q Series

The base unit is meant for installing modules such as power supply, CPU, and I/O modules.

Power supply module of MELSEC Q Series:

The power supply module mounted on the base unit supplies the required power for the CPU, input, output, and other modules.

The features of MELSEC Q Series CPU

❖ The basic operation speed is 1.9ns to 120ns per instruction.

❖ It has a program capacity of 260K steps.

❖ The device’s RAM capacity is 700K words.

❖ The standard ROM capacity is 4102 Kbytes.

❖ The total number of I/O points is 4096 I/O.

❖ It has an SD card slot for data logging, Boot Operation, and backup/restore.

❖ It has a built-in Ethernet port, USB port, RS-232, and cassette port.

❖ It has a security function to protect intellectual property by blocking unauthorized devices.

I/O module of MELSEC Q Series controller

Input modules, Interrupt module

❖ Total number of points: 8 points to 64 points.

❖ Input type : 5V DC, 12V DC, and 24 V DC.

Output modules

❖ Total number of points: 8 points to 64 points.

❖ Output type : 5V DC, 12V DC, and 24 V DC.

Analog module of MELSEC Q Series controller

❖ These modules include the analog I/O module that interfaces voltage and current signals to the control system.

❖ The input module measures the parameter and the control module that controls it.

Simple motion and Positioning module of MELSEC Q Series controller

❖ The simple motion module realizes high-speed and high-accuracy motion control with simple programming.

❖ The positioning module performs positioning such as helical interpolation.

High-speed counter and Pulse I/O module

❖ The high-speed counter module is capable of handling high-speed pulse signals from an encoder.

❖ The pulse input module performs cumulative counts by inputting measurement pulse signals such as flow rate.

Information/Network module

❖ The information module enables information exchange with the MES database and performs data logging.

❖ The network module supports various networks such as CC-Link IE and CC-Link.

❖ The various network configurations in this module include.

❖ CC-Link IE Control: It is a high-reliability distributed control network designed to handle very large data communications of 128K words over a high-speed of 1 Gbps, dual-loop optical cable topology.

❖ CC-Link IE Field: It is a versatile gigabit Ethernet-based network integrating controller, I/O control, safety control, and motion control in a flexible wiring topology supporting star, ring, and line configurations.

❖ MODBUS: provides easy communication with various slave devices compatible with Ethernet MODBUS/TCP or RS-232/422/485 serial communication.

❖ Any Wire AS LINK: it centrally monitors the state of all sensors from the programmable controller, improves productivity, and reduces operation steps.

❖ BAC net: This network is mainly used in building automation to monitor and control air-conditioning, lighting, and fire detection.

5. MELSEC F SERIES

FX3U

❖ Max.384 I/O expansion: expansion is based on control points, total of 384 I/O extension devices can be connected including CC-Link remote I/O.

❖ Special expansion: various special function blocks can be connected.

❖ Expansion board: function expansion board can be easily mounted to the main unit.

❖ High speed counters: it can count at high speed input frequency 100 kHz (1-phase 6pts), 50 kHz (2-phase 2pts), and 10 kHz (1-phase 2pts).

❖ Independent 3 axes positioning: it has 3 axes simple positioning built into the main unit. But 14 pt. and 24 pt. models have independent 2 axes.

❖ Memory: built-in RAM memory 64,000 step. Flash memory cassette can also be mounted.

❖ Processing speed: 0.065 μs/instruction for basic (LD) instruction, and 0.642 to 100 μs/instruction for application instruction.

❖ Device:

Auxiliary relay: 7,680 pts Timer: 512 pts Counter: 235 pts Data register: 8,000 pts.

Extension register: 32,768 pts Extension file register (optional memory): 32,768 pts.

FX3UC

❖ Max.384 I/O expansion: expansion is based on control points, total of 384 I/O extension devices can be connected including CC-Link remote I/O.

❖ Expansion board: function expansion board can be easily mounted to the main unit.

❖ High speed counters: it can count at high speed input frequency 100 kHz (1-phase 6pts), 50 kHz (2-phase 2pts), and 10 kHz (1-phase 2pts).

❖ Independent 3 axes positioning: it has 3 axes simple positioning built into the main unit. But 14 pt. and 24 pt. models have independent 2 axes.

❖ Memory: built-in RAM memory 64,000 step. Flash memory cassette can also be mounted.

❖ Processing speed: 0.065 μs/instruction for basic (LD) instruction, and 0.642 to 100 μs/instruction for application instruction.

❖ Device:

Auxiliary relay: 7,680 pts Timer: 512 pts Counter: 235 pts Data register: 8,000 pts.

Extension register: 32,768 pts Extension file register (optional memory): 32,768 pts.

❖ Connector type: I/O can be connected in connector format, reducing wiring effort.

❖ Built-in master function: In FX3UC-32MT-LT, CC-Link/LT master functionality is built-in.

FX3G

❖ Max.256 I/O expansion: expansion is based on control points, total of 256 I/O extension devices can be connected including CC-Link remote I/O.

❖ Expansion board: FX3GC function expansion board can be easily mounted to the main unit. Here only 1 board connects both 14pt and 24pt models.

❖ High speed counters: it can count at high speed input frequency 1 phase: 60 kHz x 4 pts/10 kHz x 2 pts 2 phase: 30 kHz x 2 pts/5 kHz 1 pts.

❖ Axes positioning: it has 3 axes simple positioning built into the main unit. But 14 pt. and 24 pt. models have independent 2 axes.

❖ Memory: built-in EEPROM memory 32,000 steps. Battery-free and maintenance-free.

❖ Processing speed for basic instruction

0.21μs/instruction in standard mode.

0.42μs/instruction in extension mode

❖ Processing speed for application instruction

0.5 to 100 μs/instruction in standard mode

1.2 to 100 μs/instruction in extension mode.

❖ Device:

Auxiliary relay: 7,680 pts Timer: 320 pts Counter: 235 pts Data register: 8,000 pts

Extension register: 24,000 pts Extension file register.

FX3GC

❖ Max.256 I/O expansion: expansion is based on control points, total of 256 I/O extension devices can be connected including CC-Link remote I/O.

❖ High speed counters: it can count at high speed input frequency 1 phase: 60 kHz x 4 pts/10 kHz x 2 pts 2 phase: 30 kHz x 2 pts/5 kHz 1 pts.

❖ Positioning: it has 2 axes simple positioning built into the main unit.

❖ Memory: built-in EEPROM memory 32,000 steps. Battery-free and maintenance-free.

❖ Processing speed for basic instruction

0.21μs/instruction in standard mode.

0.42μs/instruction in extension mode

❖ Processing speed for application instruction

0.5 to 100 μs/instruction in standard mode

1.2 to 100 μs/instruction in extension mode.

❖ Device:

Auxiliary relay: 7,680 pts Timer: 320 pts Counter: 235 pts Data register: 8,000 pts

Extension register: 24,000 pts Extension file register.

❖ Connector type: I/O can be connected in connector format, reducing wiring effort.

FX3S

❖ Expansion Boards: Function can be easily added by mounting a function expansion board to the main unit.

❖ High speed counters: it can count at high speed input frequency 1 phase:

1 phase: 60 kHz x 2 pts/ 10 kHz x 4 pts

2 phase: 30 kHz x 1 pts/ 5 kHz 1 pt.

❖ Positioning: it has 2 axes simple positioning function built into the main unit.

❖ Memory: 16,000 step EEPROM memory built-in. Battery-free and maintenance-free. With a Program capacity of 4,000 steps

❖ Processing speed :

Basic instruction: 0.21 μs/instruction

Application instruction: 0.5 to 100μs/instruction

❖ Device : Auxiliary relay: 1,536 pts Timer: 138 pts Counter: 67 pts Data register: 3,000 pts.

6. MELSEC-A Series

MELSEC-A

❖ MELSEC-A CPU is suitable for simple systems up to large scale systems

❖ When used for large systems 4096 I/O points and program memory capacity of 120k steps are supported.

❖ Using A3A, A3U or A4UCPU higher processing system can be built.

❖ Systems can easily be expanded to a larger scale by utilizing the network, since A2U, A3U, and A4UCPU are compatible with the MELSECECNET/10.

MELSEC-QnA

❖ The MELSEC-QnA CPU features superior performance and a large capacity to support any type of system.

❖ When used for large systems with 4096 I/O points, a program memory capacity of 124k steps and expansions up to 7 levels are supported.

❖ Existing systems can be upgraded to systems with an accelerated processing speed by replacing the sequencer CPU and some special function units to increase the functionality.

MELSEC-Q4AR

❖ It is a Q4ARCPU redundant PC system.

❖ The system is intended for control applications that require high reliability and is designed for continuous operations even when a CPU unit, network or power supply fails.

MELSEC-AnS

❖ The MELSEC AnS CPU saves space and features a superior cost performance and is compatible with MELSECECNET/10…

❖ Compact dimensions provide greater freedom for installation.

❖ Systems can easily be expanded to a larger scale by utilizing the network.

II. Simple Application Controllers

❖ ALPHA2 Main Unit: the main unit includes power supply, CPU, and I/O modules, along with the display, analog inputs, counters, timers, and GSM functionality.

❖ I/O Extension: the four different I/O extension modules are available.

❖ Analog Control: to control the analog outputs and analog inputs like temperature sensor inputs.

❖ AS-Interface: it is the actuator to sensor interface for slave devices.

❖ Engineering Software: to make the graphical interface for ALPHA2 series controllers.

❖ Option: the line-up of cables for data exchange and storage devices to store the data.

III. Motion Controllers

The motion controllers are control devices that achieve high speed and high accuracy drive control for each industrial machine. The selection of motion controllers A variety of PLC system-based and industrial PC-based servo system controllers are included in our product line-ups. A suitable module can be selected for the system requested.

1. MELSEC iQ-R series

Motion module

❖ The Motion module with multiple-core processors enables the pursuit of high speed, multi-axis, to configure a system according to the scale and application by supporting the CC-Link IE TSN real-time open network.

❖ Considering the programming language or project heritage the appropriate model from the two operating modes can be selected.

❖ Connects remote devices via CC-Link IE TSN. The PLC CPU reads/writes the data of the remote devices.

❖ Supports ST language for programming while a PLC CPU supports ladder, FBD/LD, and ST language.

❖ Enables users to analyse the operation status with logging data on GX LogViewer, improving debug efficiency.

❖ CC-Link IE TSN supports TCP/IP communications to industrial architectures through TSN enabling real-time communications.

❖ The high-speed, high-capacity CPU buffer memory revolutionizes the data exchange between CPUs.

Motion Controller

❖ Aims to make any equipment faster and more accurateand maximize system’s productivity.

❖ Is capable of various controls such as positioning control, speed control, and torque control.

❖ The buffer memories of the Motion CPU and the PLC CPU are equipped with 2 M words and 512 k words.

❖ The Motion control program is described in flowchart form using the Motion Sequential Function Chart format.

❖ Communication speed is three times faster than the conventional speed of 150 Mbps fa or full-duplex, and 300 Mbps fa or half-duplex.

❖ Synchronous communications are achieved with SSCNETIII/H compatible and SSCNETIII compatible servo amplifiers can be used together with maximum wiring distance is up to 3200 m per system.

❖ The advanced synchronous control is software-based it can be started/ended on an axis-by-axis basis.

❖ The synchronous and positioning controls can be used together in one program.

❖ Speed-torque control can be performed simultaneously with the synchronous control.

❖ The multiple CPU advanced synchronous control that allows up to 192-axis synchronization with high accuracy.

❖ The machine is controlled to match the pressure sensor values with pressure commands to maintain constant pressure with a changing load. Functions List

❖ Number of control axes: Up to 16 axes to 64 axes

❖ Servo amplifier interface SSCNETIII/H

❖ Operation cycle: 0.22 ms

❖ Engineering Environment: MELSOFT MT Works2

2. MELSEC iQ-F Series

❖ The Motion module offers a high-performance servo system to improve machine capability with a CC-Link IE TSN-compatible servo amplifier.

❖ Performs advanced motion control, such as positioning, synchronous, cam, and speed-torque control.

❖ The Motion module has the capability and functions required for stand-alone/small-scale systems and enables advanced motion control while offering cost-effectiveness.

❖ The operation cycle is 500 μs.

❖ Synchronous control can be achieved using software instead of controlling mechanically with gear

❖ It can be flexibly started/ended for each axis

❖ By using MELSOFT GX Works3 users create projects and conduct maintenance more flexibly and easily

❖ Programming can be done with Ladder Diagram, SFC, and FBD.

❖ CC-Link IE TSN enabling real-time communications supports TCP/IP communications to industrial architectures.

IV. Data logging analyzer MELQIC

The key to improving the quality and increasing the production efficiency. This unit is meant for logging, analysis, judgment, and storing the data for quality improvement.

❖ MELQIC main unit: This unit is meant for Data logging, analysis, judgment, and storage in one unit.

❖ Expansion Rack: The expansion rack enables the connection of boards for expansion.

❖ Software: The software is meant to design the graphical interface for the user to control the process in real-time.

❖ Extension board:The expansion board enablesthe use of various functions.

❖ Option:Cables and installation hardware options.

What are the various software features in Mitsubishi PLC?

1. iQ Works

❖ Using this software suite we can program PLC, Motion Control, and GOT.

❖ MELSOFT iQ Works consists of programming software GX Works3, MT Works2, GT Works3, RT ToolBox3 mini, and FR Configurator2.

❖ MELSOFT Navigator acts as the interface between each software.

❖ The Graphic Operation Terminal has 3 main features they are Simplicity, Graphic Design, and Easy-Usability.

2. GX Works3

❖ It is the next-generation engineering software. Its intuitive programming environments contribute to development cost reduction.

❖ The programming languages such as ladder diagram and ST are used.

❖ It has a special motion setup tool that makes it easy to change simple motion modules.

❖ The GX WORKS 3 comes with an updated pre-installed object library with a module library.

❖ Global and local variables are supported providing an easy way to share device names across multiple projects.

3. GX Works2

❖ This programming software uses the program assets by GX Developer to pursue a more comfortable level of operability.

❖ It supports system design, programming, debugging, and maintenance.

❖ It enables the full use of high-function and high-performance MELSEC PLC modules.

❖ Programming can be done in SFC, ST, and ladders languages.

4. PX Developer

❖ It consists of a programming tool and monitoring tool supporting users to process DDC.

❖ Programming is done in FBD language

❖ PX Developer complies with the IEC61131-3 standards

❖ Reduces the development time the programs can be customized for reuse in future projects requiring similar capabilities

❖ Data can be exchanged between the FBD program and ladder program

❖ The PX Developer has various screens used to tune, monitor, and operate the created control loop.

❖ Tuning and monitoring are available immediately after creating the program.

❖ The redundant system can be designed for the control and standby systems and reduces the total setup and design time.

5. MX Component

❖ MX Component enables communication from a PC to a PLC and motion controller regardless of communication protocol.

❖ Serial and Ethernet communication can be developed with simple steps.

❖ The data can be collected by VBA programming in Excel.

❖ Devices can be set according to the assigned label and reduce human effort in making labels.