Top 10 Temperature Measurement Interview Questions

1). What is PRT?

PRT is expressed as Platinum Resistance Thermometer.

2). What is the most precise type of thermocouple?

Type T thermocouples have an accuracy of ±1C, followed by types J and K (±1.7C) and type N (±2.2C).

3). What is the best temperature sensor for rapidly changing temperatures?

Thermocouples are notable for their rapid response times.

4). Is it a problem that my sensor is located so far away from my controller?

For thermocouples & 4-wire PRTs, the maximum sensor loop resistance should be 100 Ohms. Exceeding 100 Ohms may cause a measuring inaccuracy. Alternatively, you might utilize a temperature transmitter near your sensor.

5). What is a duplex sensor?

One that contains two distinct sensors in a single housing.

6). Why use a thermowell?

To protect sensor from the process media and allow for easy replacement if necessary.

7). Why should I use genuine thermocouple connectors rather than standard electrical connectors?

If you utilize standard connectors, you will create another junction (2 different metals) that will generate mv based on the temperature of the connectors’ location, resulting in erroneous measurements.

8). Can the controller & alarm use the same thermocouple?

Use duplex sensors with one connected to the controller & the other to the alarm. The device controller may include alerts, in which case it will rely on the control sensor.

9). Why does the thermocouple read 0mv on a multimeter when tested outside of the process?

Thermocouple junctions generate mv due to thermal action. Placing multimeter leads on thermocouple wire creates another junction that generates the same voltage at the same temperature.

10). What is a sheathed thermocouple?

A sheathed thermocouple is one in which the wires are embedded and insulated with a high-density ceramic compound before being encased in a metal sheath. Stainless steel is a commonly used sheath material. Sheathed thermocouples are resistant to corrosive & adverse conditions.