Issue with interface leveltrol - displacer type level transmitter

I’m experiencing issues with the interface leveltrol in one of our crude oil storage tanks. The leveltrol is showing erratic readings and sometimes fails to detect the correct oil-water interface. I’ve already checked for common issues like obstructions and cleaned the sensor, but the problem persists. What other troubleshooting steps can I take to diagnose and fix this issue? image

Here are some additional troubleshooting steps you can take to diagnose and fix this issue based on my experience:

1. Check Calibration:
  • Ensure that the leveltrol is properly calibrated for the specific gravity of the fluids it is measuring. Incorrect calibration can lead to inaccurate readings.
  1. Inspect Mechanical Components:
  • Verify that the displacer and torque tube are free from mechanical binding. Any restriction in movement can cause erratic readings.
  • Check for any signs of wear or damage on the displacer, torque tube, and linkages.
  1. Verify Process Conditions:
  • Ensure that the process conditions such as temperature and pressure are within the transmitter’s specified operating range. Extreme conditions can affect the performance of the leveltrol.
  • Check for the presence of emulsions or foam at the interface, as these can interfere with accurate level measurement.
  1. Examine Electrical Connections:
  • Inspect all electrical connections and wiring for any loose or corroded contacts. Poor electrical connections can lead to signal instability.
  • Ensure that the transmitter’s power supply is stable and within the required voltage range.
  1. Review Instrument Settings:
  • Check the instrument settings and configuration parameters. Ensure that they match the requirements of your application.
  • Look for any software or firmware updates for the leveltrol that might address known issues.
  1. Assess Installation:
  • Confirm that the leveltrol is installed correctly according to the manufacturer’s guidelines. Improper installation can affect its performance.
  • Ensure that the displacer is fully submerged in the fluid and not affected by flow disturbances or vibrations.
  1. Check for Buildup and Deposits:
  • Inspect the displacer and surrounding areas for any buildup of deposits or scale. These can alter the buoyancy and lead to incorrect readings.
  • Consider performing a thorough cleaning if any buildup is found.
  1. Test with Simulated Conditions:
  • If possible, simulate the expected interface conditions using known reference points to test the transmitter’s response.
  • This can help determine if the issue is with the transmitter or the actual process conditions.
  1. Consult the Manufacturer:
  • If the problem persists after all these checks, it might be helpful to consult the manufacturer’s technical support. They can provide specific troubleshooting steps and advice tailored to your model of leveltrol.

These steps should help you identify and resolve the issue with your interface leveltrol. Consistent maintenance and regular checks are key to ensuring reliable operation of level transmitters in critical applications.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions or need further assistance.