Steps to configure the “hyperterminal” connection for connecting to a switch/router using console cable:
- Connect the RS-232 cable to the switch’s communication port and the computer’s serial port.
- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Communications > HyperTerminal.
- In the Connection Description dialog box, type a name that describes the connection in the Name text box and click OK.
- In the Icon box, click the appropriate icon, and click OK.
- In the Connect To dialog box, select the serial port used by the computer in Connect Using box and click OK.
- From the “Connect To” dialog, select the serial port being used by the computer and click OK.
- From the Properties page, configure the following port settings. a. Bits per second: 9600 b. Data bits: 8 c. Parity: NONE d. Stop bits: 1 e. Flow control: Xon/Xoff
- Click OK.