How to Configure and connect Online a Allen Bradley PLC SLC500

Configuration of Allen Bradley SLC 500:

The PLC SLC 500 has two types of modules namely fixed and modular PLC, images below shows an example of the configuration of the two types of modules

Fixed type PLC modules are a combination of the power supply, processor (CPU) and I / O in one unit. Modular type PLC modules consist of a power supply, a frame, a processor module inserted in slot 0, and other I / O modules inserted in the other slots in the framework.

1. Slot number

The slot number is indicated as shown. 2.4 above. In PLC the fixed slot 0 model is used for processors and I/O in one unit, while slots 1 and 2 are used for expansion modules installed in the expansion frame.

In modular PLC models, slot 0 is used for other processor and slot modules for I / O modules.

2. Catalogue Number

When we configure the PLC we must first specify the process catalog number, frame catalog number, and I / O module catalog number. These catalog numbers are listed on the components here, we just need to match the list already in the software, then set it.

Note that each of us makes the program must be consistent with the configuration that was made previously. If we use a different PLC configuration, the program must adjust to the new configuration, because the address is certainly different.

Online Communication

To connect between a computer and a PLC using a communication cable (1747-C10) and RS-232 / DH-485 (1747-PIC) interface converter equipment. Location of communication channel as shown in the following figure:

To connect by inserting one end of the communication cable into the PLC communication port, and the other end connect to the DH-485 connector from the interface converter 1747-PIC. The DH-485 connector as shown in figure below:

Then input the RS-232 connector from the interface converter to the computer communication serial port, if the computer has a 9 pin port, then you need a 9-25 pin adapter. Picture below shows the relationship (communication) between the PLC and the personal computer: